Sunday 7 July 2013

An update from James

It has been a few weeks since either myself or Gareth have posted anything on here. With some personal issues getting in the way as well as a challenging few weeks at the job that's paying the bills (at the moment), coming up with content for this has been a challenge. Not every blog on here will be about hints and tips for writing. So I thought I would give you an update of what is going on and what I have been up to.

Lets start with the script, because let's face it, I'm fucking stoked about it. We are now in draft 4. Crazy to think really that a year ago we were having just discussions on Skype about this. Now we have written a full script with 3 different drafts no less. We have been busy this week refining the first 10 pages. Going into draft 4 we both thought it would be a little easier to finish, boy were we wrong. We have made some major changes. All for the better I should stress though. I really feel confident that we know the motivations of our main villain. It is so important to know your characters inside and out. I guess this blog will include one screenwriting hint after all.

We have a pretty long session planned for Today or yesterday or even months ago depending on when you read this. It is all about working towards one goal and one event, the London Screenwriters Festival. Talking of which, we have ordered our business cards, we went for some high quality prints from moo.com. Take a look at Gareth's version below.


When I have had some spare time from the script and the 9 to 5, I have tried to fill it with something fun. I recently downloaded The Walking Dead games from Xbox Live. I must say I am enjoying them a lot. They are very well written and you really feel like you are living the show. The choices you make and the responses you give change the outcome of the story. I think this type of game will become more of the norm soon. It is a good way to engage the audience and make you feel like your choices make a difference. I much prefer it to the point and shoot games such as Call of Duty.

TV wise I started and finished the first 2 seasons of Luther, really enjoyed it. Quite gritty for the BBC. I understand that the third season has just started and I am looking forward to seeing how it all ends. Idris Elba has a real presence that makes you really focus in on him. It is no surprise that he has become a huge star. I have also caved in and finally ordered Spartacus after many on my friends including Gareth recommended it to me. I am looking forward to starting it (as soon as it arrives).

No real other news to share, my dear MacBook Pro has had to be taken in for repair, but writing this has given me a whole new appreciation for my iPad. If you don't have one I would suggest getting one. You may not think you need one, but believe me when you have one you won't know how you managed without one.

Apple Genius "We need to test your mac, you will need to leave it here for 48 hours"

I know this blog has not been particularly helpful in a writing sense, but the last few weeks has made me really appreciate how rewarding and how much I enjoy the process of writing. So if you want another tip, always make sure you make time for writing. However shit your day or week is, make time to do a page or two. Sure the job that pays the bills may have to come first sometimes, but don't neglect your passion.

That's it from me, I hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend and the sunny weather. Happy Writing

James



No comments:

Post a Comment